Saturday, May 26, 2018

My Favorite Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats


My favorite breakfast is a bowl of steel cut oats. But I don't have time to make a new batch every morning, so I make a big batch every couple of weeks and freeze individual portions so I can enjoy a simple, healthy delicious breakfast in 4 minutes. My only problem is making sure I have enough made for all the other family members who love it as much as I do. Here's the recipe below.

Maple & Brown Sugar Steel Cut Oats













This recipe makes 16 servings (1/4 c. dry steel cut oats)
4 c. Steel Cut Oats
10 c. Water
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 tsp. salt
Turn on Instant Pot to the Saute function. Heat the oil until hot. Add steel cut oats and toast them until slightly brown. I can always tell they are ready when I smell that wonderful nutty aroma. Add the water and salt. Mix all ingredients.
Turn on Instant Pot to High for 10 mins. Then let it do a natural release (15-25 mins).

After releasing, oats will look watery. Don't worry. Stir them very well to mix in the water. Then add:
4 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Cinnamon
6 Tbsp. Splenda Brown Sugar
2-4 Tbsp. Real Maple Syrup (I use the costco maple syrup) I like 4--but put in the amount you like for sweetness.
Mix well, then add 2 c. Almond Milk (the non-sweetened vanilla - 30 calories a cup)
Stir again. This makes my steel coat oats extra creamy and super delicious.

To portion them out, I use my jumbo muffin pan. SPRAY with non-stick cooking spray before putting in the oatmeal. (We learned the hard way). Then they just slide out. If you don't have a muffin pan, you can use a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper. SPRAY the parchment paper too. Use a 3/4 cup measuring tool to generously scoop 16 servings. If I have a little leftover at the end I portion it out with all the rest of them.
Freeze until firm (at least a couple hours), then transfer into a couple of ziplocks. That's it! 16 breakfasts ready to go.

To Serve: Microwave 1 portion for 2:30-3:30 minutes. (the baking cups are fatter and are more on the 3:30 side.) Stir and add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries. Microwave 1 more minute. I top mine with a couple extra tablespoons of almond milk.

Nutrition Facts
Servings 16.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 137
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 3 g 5 %
Saturated Fat 2 g 9 %
Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
Sodium 35 mg 1 %
Potassium 52 mg 1 %
Total Carbohydrate 23 g 8 %
Dietary Fiber 3 g 13 %
Sugars 8 g
Protein 3 g 5 %
Vitamin A 1 %
Vitamin C 0 %
Calcium 8 %
Iron 7 %


No comments: